Tags

, , , , , ,

… my first knitting project, a pattern for a cowl bought on etsy, the list of supplies printed out, a trip to my local knitting shop and I came home with the right weight (if that is the term) yarn and the correct sized circular needle. Sat at my desk, and with the help of youtube, I cast on the required number of stitches. Another video taught me how to knit and another explained the intricacies of purling. I followed the pattern to the letter until I needed to go back on to youtube to learn how to cast off…

… and I hated the result! So I pulled it all apart and vaguely followed another pattern to make a different cowl, but I got my stitches twisted before I started knitting in the round, I thought it might be an interesting effect, it wasn’t, so I pulled it all apart and started again… this time I had read about seed stitch, so off I set, I improvised and third time lucky… I ended up with a cowl people still compliment me on today.

… so I am used to starting knitting projects again (and again…)…

… a big ball of chunky wool, 2 evenings watching dvd’s (silk and Somers town), and knit, knit, knit, I made a simple cowl and ran out of wool as I was casting off the last stitches. I have already grumbled about this fail! With hindsight I could probably have just patched it up by using some other similar wool to finish it off, instead I tugged on the end of the wool and frogged it.

… I think I have already confessed to my love for the purlbee blog, I had already made their garter gaiter once and it had been snatched out my hands no sooner than I had finished it. I decided to use the pattern again. This time with a single ball of wool, so no stripes, but I like the texture the stocking stitch gives with a chunky wool. A couple of evenings, another 2 films (the killer inside me and on the road), and I have a completed cowl. I even “timed it” right so I had a tiny bit of wool left over. I might list this one on etsy as I seem to have rather a lot of blue cowls already…

SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC

… and if it wasn’t enough to rescue one flop, last week, packing for a weekend in the mountains, I realised I could do with a few more simple drawstring bags. I use them for shoes and to keep types of clothes together in my bag, to keep my yoga gear separate from my horse riding stuff, my underwear together and separate from my pyjamas, etc…

… a moment of genius, I could use the failed quilt material to make a few such bags! I trimmed and tidied up the wrong side as it would no longer be completely out of sight inside a quilt. I cut the material into 3 strips about 35 cm wide, folded them lengthwise, sewed up the side seams, folded a hem at the top to run string through, found some matching string, and voilá! I have 3 more drawstring bags for my travels.

SONY DSC SONY DSC

Advertisements